If you want to increase engagement, boost brand awareness, and put a little pizzazz into your eLearning content, gamification is a strategy you’ll seriously want to consider.
What is Gamification?
Gamification is a set of principles and methods, much like those used in video games, that encourages participation in an activity. It can even make learning fun. From point tracking and leaderboards to prizes and bragging rights, everything about gamification can serve to stimulate motivation in the workplace. Gamification works because it triggers real, powerful human emotions.
Why Does it Work?
The benefits of gamification at work are found in the very reasons video games are so fun. Whenever you beat a high score or unlock a new achievement, your brain releases a rush of dopamine. It’s the rush of dopamines that gets people hooked and stokes the desire for them to continue playing in order to continue to experience that rush.
If you produce dopamine whenever you complete a task, your brain will be conditioned to associate good sales behaviors and techniques with fun and excitement.
How to Make it Work for You
- Identify key metrics to track – Challenges should be attainable but not easy; that way your staff will remain engaged and enthusiastic.
- Post a leaderboard to boost competition – Progress should be transparent. Allowing employees to monitor progress will let them know which areas they should focus on and what is their next best action to gain some ground.
- Assign points wisely – Award points for activities that breed success, not just success itself. Rewarding points simply for closing deals won’t teach your sales agents how to improve at their craft. Try assigning points for sales behaviors for lasting change.
- Make it worth the effort – The key variable that drives motivation is incentives. Cash is king, but it might not always be what’s warranted. Decide the right prize strategy that will spur the most engagement.
- Go digital – In order to ensure your game is a grand slam, you’ll need to have the right technology in place. Mevo can help you excel at gamification, streamline the process, and point you in the right direction.