Why Effective Communication Is Essential To Your Organization’s Success.
Communication is the foundation of all organizational activities. It promotes the collaborative atmosphere that any organization needs to thrive. From making sure that everyone is on the same page to motivating colleagues to improve productivity, effective communication is a keen source for motivation, innovation, and positive growth. It is absolutely vital for success.
When I was in Army Boot Camp as a new recruit, the very first thing we were required to do was memorize our chain of command and learn all the crazy lingo. Why? Because we needed to know who was yelling at us at all times, why, and what was expected of us. They wanted to make sure we knew who our leaders were and understood their methods of communication. The purpose was to instill trust and make us feel secure in our own roles.
Employers who spend time and energy to create open communication lines will quickly create trust and commitment among employees. Trust is often talked about as one of the most significant contributors to an organization’s business success. The tone originates from the top – leaders walking the walk directly and significantly affects employees’ engagement and willingness to go the extra mile.
Effective communication also improved my squad’s problem-solving skills while in the Army. We collaborated. We shared ideas and expertise. Our leaders gave us clear, concise goals and guidelines. And through this, we learned from each other and became more efficient. In the course of just 9 weeks, we became an unstoppable, cohesive unit.
Leaders setting a good example on how to communicate and collaborate with others can increase productivity exponentially. Two heads are better than one, but when the whole squad is on the same page, nothing can stand in the way of achieving your goals. When you know exactly where you are and where you want to be, finding the road to get there is a breeze.
Being an effective communicator also means sharing as much as you can about the current health of your organizations. Regularly distribute information employees really care about, such as financial reports, performance metrics, and board meeting minutes. The more transparent you are, the more trust you earn.
Keep Up The Pace
Other, more subtle forms of communication can be just as effective and important. For example, we used cadences when running long distances. If you’ve ever watched a military-themed movie, you might think cadences are just silly songs to sing to pass the time. However, cadences are used to boost morale, keep the pace, and help regulate breathing to increase endurance. The squad or platoon was always able to stay together regardless of ability – nobody fell behind. Moreover, the brilliance behind the cadence was the creativity and personality that shined through in the songs. No two drill sergeants put the same spin on it, so it kept us motivated. The right communication at the right time can bring out the very best in people.
So how can you deliver your message effectively in order to improve motivation and productivity in your organization?
- Communicate often. Keep your team up-to-date on what’s happening. This makes them feel more like an integral part of your organization, and it will foster more ownership in their performance.
- Give public praise. When a staff member reaches a milestone, make an announcement to the rest of the team. This will instill pride in the person receiving the kudos, but it will also motivate others to improve so they also get recognition. A little positive reinforcement can go a long way.
- Continually educate. Learning makes people happier and more productive. Find a way to put a bit of razzle-dazzle in your training program.
- Be memorable. Remember, you set the tone. A boring email is easily forgotten, but an announcement on a bullhorn will be talked about for weeks. Let your personality shine through!
- Meet them where they are. Not everyone checks their email every day, but the average person spends over four hours per day on their devices. MevoApp’s messaging feature allows you to connect with your staff in real-time, right to their phone.
“Talent wins games, but communication and teamwork wins championships.”Michael Jordan